This comprehensive page should help with your questions related to artwork, signwriting and vinyl graphics.

If you cannot find an answer to your question, please contact me by email or phone.


Do you hand paint signs?

I can paint signs and lettering with a brush, by hand. Visit here to learn more.

Do you do gold leaf?

I can gild glass, signs, letters and vehicles with gold leaf and metal leaf. Visit here to learn more.

How long have you been signwriting?

Since I was a boy. My father is a signwriter and coachpainter, so I grew up painting and lettering signs and vehicles with him. Read about us here.

How much does signwriting cost?

There’s no set price for signwriting. Costs depend on your project specifications. Contact me for a quote.


How much does a sign cost?

Every sign I make or supply is made to order. Costs are determined by artwork design or set-up (if necessary), labour, materials, carriage, and quantity. Contact me for a quote.

How long does a sign last?

Unless specified as a temporary sign, I make signs with materials that withstand typical exterior conditions. Visit here to learn more about exterior signs longevity.

What types of signs do you provide?

I design, manufacture, supply and install most types of signs. If I’m unable to provide your sign, I’ll try to refer you to someone who can. Get in touch to find out more.

How do I order a sign?

Visit the products guide. Choose your product. Contact me by phone or e-mail for advice and we can discuss the next stage.

How long will it take to make my sign?

Lead times vary and depend on my current workload, your approval of your artwork, the complexity of your project, materials availability, materials delivery, paint curing times (for painted signs), and weather conditions if your sign is exterior or requires installation. Contact me for more details.

Do you install signs?

Yes. I have the ability to install some types of signs and work with contractors to install larger signs and systems.

I can also advise how you can install your sign – just ask.

I don’t have the ability to wire electrical signs. I suggest contacting a qualified electrician when necessary.

Do you design signs?

Yes. Visit here to see design projects.

Does my sign need planning permission?

Like for like replacement signage does not often require planning permission. However, different local authorities have different regulations for signs.

If in doubt, always contact your local planning department or speak with your architect, project manager or landlord.

Can you provide drawings for my sign?

Yes. I can provide scaled drawings, materials specifications and samples. Read my approach here.

Vinyl graphics

Do you do stickers?

I supply all types of adhesive graphics. Visit here for details.

What colours of vinyl are there?

A comprehensive range of manufactured coloured vinyl is available from many vinyl distributors. Colours not manufactured in vinyl can be printed as close as practically possible to your colour reference.

Can I apply vinyl graphics myself?

Read this beginners’ guide and learn how to apply vinyl graphics.

How do I remove vinyl graphics?

Read this guide and learn how to remove vinyl graphics.

How long does vinyl last?

Adhesive vinyl’s durability ranges from short-term (< one year) up to ten years (manufacturers’ warranty). Learn more about vinyl graphics here.


How much does a logo cost?

I don’t set a price for designing logos and graphics. You can find out how I determine a price by visiting here. Or contact me to discuss.

What is artwork setup?

Artwork setup and file proofing is a necessary stage to produce your sign or graphics. It can involve editing your supplied artwork and preparing it before the production of your sign or graphics.

How much is artwork setup?

Artwork setup charges depend on the time I spend preparing your artwork for reproduction. You can avoid or lessen the artwork setup charge by following instructions in the artwork setup guide.

How do I provide artwork files for my signs and graphics?

Read this article.

My artwork is of poor quality. What will you do?

I’ll replicate your artwork as close as practically possible or we can determine an alternative artwork solution.

Can you use images from Google?

Please respect copyright laws and provide your proof of ownership or permission of use from the original artwork author. Alternatively, you can purchase high quality images from several reputable online artwork libraries. Contact me for my recommendations.

Can you match my colours?

Colours are matched as close as practically possible. I advise asking for swatches or ordering colour samples for your project in advance. I’ve written extensively about colour management in signmaking. You will find information here.

Which colour references do you need to match colours?

Please provide CMYK, Pantone, British Standard, NCS or RAL colour references.

Do not provide RGB or HEX colour references.


What do I need to do before bringing my vehicle to you for graphics?

Please approve your artwork design and my quote.

Please clean the vehicle ensuring it’s as dirt free as possible. Do not polish or wax the vehicle.

Do you do vehicle wraps?

Generally, no. I occasionally partially wrap vehicles and will refer you to a company that can wrap your entire vehicle.

Will vinyl graphics mark my vehicle when they’re removed?

Due care and attention are essential when removing vinyl graphics from coated surfaces. Especially when using a heat tool and chemicals to remove the vinyl adhesive.

Your vehicle’s coating must be bonded adequately to the vehicle panel(s) to minimise the risk of vinyl removing the coating.

A ghost image/silhouette is often left on surfaces following the removal of long term, exterior vinyl graphics. Generally, the ghost image/silhouette can be removed by rejuvenating the surface with car polish.

The ghost image/silhouette is minimised by regularly maintaining the coated surface of your vehicle.


What is your process for making my sign?

Visit here to read my approach.

How can I pay you?

You can pay by bank transfer or cash.

Are you insured?

I have public liability insurance.

I don’t have insurance to drive your vehicle.

How long have you been making signs?

I’ve been around signmaking all of my life, as my father is a coachpainter and signwriter. I officially began my signmaking career at age fifteen when I left high school. Learn more about us here.

What qualifications do you have?

I studied graphic design and communication at Dundee College in the late nineties / early noughties. I gained an HND.

Do you do samples?

Yes. I can provide you with samples of signs and some materials.

Can I visit you?

Yes. Get in touch to arrange a meeting.

Are there environmentally friendly signmaking materials?

Yes. But not nearly enough.

The sign and display sector is gradually providing more eco-friendly products. Contact me for more information.